SEN & Disability


Special Educational Needs & Disabilities Policy v5 September 2020 (PDF)


Types of need that we support at KGGS

We make provision for a wide range of needs such as:

  • Specific learning difficulties such as slow auditory / visual processing; slow cognitive processing; site – word efficiency and other ‘dyslexia’ spectrum difficulties.
  • Dyspraxia
  • Visual and hearing impairment.
  • Physical and mobility impairment.
  • Mental health
  • Communication difficulties including autism.

We ensure that our admission arrangements for students do not discriminate against or disadvantage disabled children or those with special education needs. Please see our Admissions Policy on the school web site.


The progress of all pupils at KGGS are monitored very closely by the Heads of Year, three times annually, based on class teacher feedback and test/ exam performance. The school uses the graduated approach (‘Assess – Plan – Do – Review’) in order to ensure that pupils’ needs are met. Provision and progress are monitored by the Heads of Year and Heads of Faculty, and in some highlighted cases, the SENCO.

Where progress is not satisfactory, we put extra support in place in order for the pupil to stay on track. If there are concerns about the progress and performance of a pupil, and a problem has been identified, they will be referred to the SENCO for further investigation and possibly, assessment. This typically results in an assessment of the pupil’s abilities and underlying cognitive function using a battery of standardised psychometric tests: a suitably qualified assessor administers these.

The outcome of this assessment will be shared with parents and pupils in the form of a written and verbal report. This report will detail the different approaches and provisions needed to enable the pupil to make better progress. Provisions and needs of pupils with SEND will be detailed on a Pupil Support Plan – a copy of which will be included with a report. This report plan is then reviewed twice a year. Parents will be notified of any significant changes to the plan or provision. We will ensure that all teachers of a given pupil and support staff who work with the pupil are aware of the support to be provided and the teaching approach to be used.

Please see our SEND Policy on the school web site for further details on the identification of pupils with SEND.

Arrangements for consulting pupils with SEND

Pupils have an opportunity to comment on their difficulties during the initial stages of preparation of their Support Plan writing. They will be involved in the arrangements made for them as part of person-centred planning.


All class teachers will be aware of the needs of their pupils and will make reasonable adjustments in their teaching in order to remove barriers to learning. We make every effort to ensure high quality differentiated teaching in our classrooms for all our pupils. Particular adjustments are outlined in a pupil’s Support Plan. Pupils can also be offered a student mentor. Tutoring and mentoring from a member of staff may also be available depending upon need. Pupils can also make an appointment with the School’s councellor.

Equipment and facilities to support pupils with SEND

Parents of daughters who have a disability are encouraged to arrange for a tour of the school and its facilities. Parts of the school are more than one hundred years old and newer extensions are built over a slope; hence the site is built on several levels with some buildings having more than one floor. A system of lifts and stair lifts ensure accessibility to nearly every room. The school has a hygiene suite including a shower and a lift for those with more complex needs.

We can also supply assistive technology to help with writing and reading if recommended by an Access Arrangements Assessor. We can loan some pupils laptops; we can also give access to reading pens and computer readers.

Where external advisors recommend the use of equipment or facilities which the school does not have we will investigate the feasibility of obtaining them.

The school has an Access Policy available from its web site.

Emotional and medical care

Students are encouraged to talk to any adult if they have a problem. However, the school has a Pastoral service where pupils can seek medical or emotional help. Furthermore, there is a counselling service available by appointment.

All staff have a First Aid at Work qualification. Some staff are fully trained first aiders. Students who need to take any medication whilst at school have to leave their medicines in the Pastoral office during the day and collect them when they go home. Students with epipens are expected to keep them with them at all times.

Pastoral Support Staff will discuss arrangements with parents and the student for special medical conditions (diabetes, etc.) in order to plan the best way of taking their medication at school.

Evaluation of provision and reviewing progress

Provisions for pupils with SEND are made on an individual basis and are reviewed often to ensure their effectiveness and that as many barriers to learning and progress are removed as reasonable. The progress of all pupils are monitored by the Heads of Year as outlined above. If a pupil with SEND does not make sufficient or expected progress, their provision will be reviewed using the graduated approach and their Support Plan will be reviewed.

Extra – curricular activities

Students are encouraged to join the varied range of lunchtime clubs and activities available to them, and are given many opportunities to socialise. All clubs, trips and activities offered to pupils are available to pupils with SEND. Where necessary, the school will use the resources available to it to provide reasonable additional support to enable the safe participation of the pupil in the activity.


SENCO & learning support tutor

The SENCO is a qualified teacher who holds a National Award for Special Educational Needs and is a qualified Level 7 Access Arrangements Assessor. He is assisted by an administrator, who is a qualified Higher Level Teaching Assistant, has an Award in Proficiency in Access Arrangement Co-ordination and is trained by relevant medical professionals in personal care, including moving and handling, for pupils with more complex needs. She also has had training on Autism spectrum disorders.

SENCO - Sean Tarver BSc. (Hons), Ph.d., PgCE, QTS, NASENCO, PAPAA

Access Arrangements Assessors

The school also uses external experts to test pupils for Specific Learning Difficulties (SpLD) and dyslexia – they can also recommend exam access arrangements.

Involvement of pupils and parents

All parents of pupils are invited to discuss the progress of their daughter at parents’ evenings and they will also receive a written report every year. In addition, parents and families of pupils with SEND can discuss their daughter’s progress with a key member of staff in addition to the normal opportunities.

Students are encouraged to attend meetings about themselves including Support Plan review meetings and Parents’ Evenings. Students are invited to review their support plan with a member of the SEND team twice a year. Support plans will always be available for parents to see – a copy is initially sent when a student is entered onto the SEND register. Parents can attend review meetings by arrangement; they are encouraged to do so for more complex cases or for those pupils who hold an Education and Health Care plan.

For more complex cases, and for those who have applied for or hold an Education and Health Care Plan, parents are encouraged to attend review meetings.


How will the school prepare and support my child to transfer to a new setting/school/college?

Students will follow a Personal Development course in Y10 & Y11 where they will research future careers and qualification options. They will be given opportunities to discuss their plans with school staff and the Independent Careers Advisor.

With permission from the pupil and her parents, we would also be happy to share data with another education provider in cases where the pupil moves on.

Lincolnshire local offer

Access to the Lincs Family Services web site and Local SEND offer can be found here.

Nottinghamshire local offer

Access to the Notts Help yourself web site and Local Offer can be found here.

Handling complaints concerning pupils with SEND

The school has a formal complaints procedure for any complaint made by parents. This procedure should be followed for any complaint about provision made for special educational needs. We encourage parents to discuss their concerns with the SENCO or the Deputy Head Teacher.

The school has a Concerns and Complaints policy on its web site.

Working with outside agencies

Below is a list of external agencies that the school regularly engages with:

Lincolnshire County Council

  • Dyslexia Outreach Service
  • Working Together Team
  • Behaviour Outreach Support Service

CAMHS (NHS – Child and Adolescent Mental Health Services)

CAMEDS (Eating disorders)

Lincolnshire Centre for Grief and Loss

ADDACTION & OASIS (addiction difficulties)

Tavistock centre (Gender identity development service)

Futures in Mind (Educational Psychologist)

Healthy Minds

CASY (Counselling and support for young people)

Children’s / Social Services