School Environment

The original century-old building, now known as Old Hall, remains the heart of our school. It is the entrance hall for our visitors, and students are often found studying quietly at the tables here. Our well-resourced Library is in the old part of the school, filled with light through the original large windows.

Our Sixth Form are based in Harrowby House, a Victorian mansion purchased for the school in 1919 and recently extended to provide more space for personal study. Both Harrowby House and the front of the original building are Grade II listed.

The school has grown significantly in recent years, most recently with a new Sports Hall in 2003 and the Centre for Creative and Expressive Arts in 2014. We have specialist rooms for Science, Music, Art, Drama, Resistant Materials, Textiles and Cookery.

The grounds are beautifully framed by great trees lining Sandon Road and much of our green space. Picnic blankets are provided for the girls in summer so they can enjoy the peaceful surroundings during lunch. A Centenary garden was landscaped as part of our hundred-year celebrations in 2010.

We are very proud of the environment we provide to the girls, and make a deliberate effort to provide calm and peaceful areas for students to pursue self-directed study. Our history is a large part of our identity, but we are not constrained by it, and we seek to balance a formal air with the best in modern facilities.